D&D Virtual Table and Character Builder

After looking at MapTools and Fantasy Grounds, a reader recommended that I check out the official D&D Virtual Table. I haven't really gotten anywhere with it yet, beyond entering my player's character sheets into the D&D Insider Character Builder. And it seems that now it is too late, as I just received a mail from WotC stating:
I wanted to inform you all about an important decision that Wizards has made regarding the D&D Virtual Table and Virtual Table Beta. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and participation in the Beta phase, we were unable to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public. Effective July 30, 2012 the D&D Virtual Table Beta will be coming to an end and the VT will be closed.
I just hope that isn't a sign of things to come, with online D&D support being shut down due to D&D Next being less rules-based.

But then I wasn't completely happy with the results of the Character Builder either. The reason I didn't use it from the start is that it doesn't have any support for foreign languages, and half of my players don't speak English. As the rules books exist in an official French version, why not the online tools? Now that I finally entered the characters into the Character Builder I stumbled over another problem: The only house rule supported is having more feats or powers. My characters have a modified feat from their level 0 adventure, a version of Toughness that gives 6 extra health instead of 5, and it was impossible to add this one extra hit point anywhere. Also the cleric got a mace with detect undead from an old adventure I transformed into 4E, and the Character Builder doesn't support self-made magic items either.

I think that is one of the principal problems of using software for D&D: Dungeons & Dragons is a game which always has had a huge number of different versions, from various editions over various languages to millions of house rules. One could argue that no two groups play exactly the same game of D&D, because even if a group sticks to rules as written, there are differences in interpretations and differences in playing styles. While that makes D&D a very rich game, it makes coding it into software a nightmare.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pocket God Episode 44 walkthrough

Torchlight 2 Armor Tier Pictures for All Classes

Torchlight 2 Engineer Summoner Build Guide